"The Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you." John 14:26

Friday, January 25, 2008

Delighting in Him

This devotion was written by Amber Knapp from Calvary Chapel Green Valley, Nevada. It is included in my Passion for Jesus daily devotional. I really like how challenging and honest it is. Love ya.

"Blessed is the man . . . [whose] delight is in the law of
the LORD, and in His law he meditates day and night. He shall be like a tree
planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season, whose
leaf also shall not whither." Psalm 1:1-3
Living in the middle of a desert that is experiencing a drought, I often look upon the barrenness of the land with sadness. Yet, when we consider ourselves, how often do our spiritual lives resemble the desert--dry, cracked, and fruitless?
Psalm 1:2-3 tells us that as we delight in the Word of God and meditate upon it, we will become nourished, refreshed, and fruitful. Delighting in the Word is more than simply doing our Bible reading for the day. It is looking forward to and enjoying our time with the Lord above all else. Afterwards, it is savoring those tasty morsels and meditating upon them throughout the day.
When you have a free moment, where do your thoughts go? May we shift the focus of our hearts and minds off ourselves, our schedules, and our 'to do' lists and onto the Word of God, that our delight might be continually in Him and His word.
Then we will be like that tree planted by the rivers of water.
What do you spend your time thinking about? When I was your age all I thought about was boys, but it may also be gossip, jealous thoughts, insecurities, etc. I know that I for one, was encouraged to check my heart to make sure that I delight in the Lord more than anything else and continue to meditate on scriptures as I live through my day.

No comments: